upload difficulty and global tahoe status ?

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zookog at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 15:31:21 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Freelab initiative
<freelab.cc at gmail.com> wrote:

> i am not so convinced about the helper stability : sometimes i have observed
> my helper receiving files but not processing them. ( just having the total
> request queue going up and up)

I don't like to slander a tool as "maybe unreliable". Instead, let's
try to verify specifically whether there *is* some real bug in the
upload helper before we tell everyone to be wary of relying on it.

I don't recall a known bug that matches the symptoms you describe
above. Let me check the ticket database… I start at
https://Tahoe-LAFS.org , click on "View Tickets" →
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/ViewTickets , click on
"upload-helper" →
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/query?status=!closed&keywords=~upload-helper&order=priority
.

It says there are 16 open tickets tagged "upload-helper".

Reading through them, this one sounds like a bug in helper similar to
what you've reported:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2267#
exceptions.AttributeError: 'CHKUploadHelper' object has no attribute
'_reader'

And this one looks suspiciously like evidence of the same sort of failure:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/395# why are so many
helper files being abandoned?

Those are the only two bits of evidence I have to set next to your
report in this email thread.

Could you try reproduce this issue?

Thank you!