removing IP-address autodetection, Tor integration

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 09:46:59 UTC 2015

Hi Brian Warner and everyone else too,

There's some really good examples of how to use the txtorcon's Tor
hidden service endpoints... that also demonstrate how to properly
determine the generated .onion address from the fired IListeningPort:
https://github.com/meejah/txtorcon/blob/master/examples/launch_tor_endpoint.py
https://github.com/meejah/txtorcon/blob/master/examples/launch_tor_endpoint2.py

whereas these two examples don't use the endpoint abstraction and
instead use TorConfig to configure the tor process with a onion
service:
https://github.com/meejah/txtorcon/blob/master/examples/launch_tor_with_hiddenservice.py
https://github.com/meejah/txtorcon/blob/master/examples/launch_tor_with_simplehttpd.py

I don't think there is any reason for us to not use the client +
server endpoint objects... Even if there are edge cases where the
existing endpoint parser or endpoint constructors are not sufficiently
flexible we should opt to add another class method to the endpoint
object instead of using TorConfig directly.

Meejah has written some excellent documentation here:
http://timaq4ygg2iegci7.onion/txtorcon-protocol.html#txtorcon.TCPHiddenServiceEndpoint

"""There are three main ways to use this class, and you are encouraged
to use the @classmethod ways of creating instances: system_tor,
global_tor, and private_tor"""

Cheers,

~david