foolscap negotiation fails with "unknown TubID"

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Thu Feb 5 16:33:48 UTC 2015

On 2/4/15 8:45 PM, Zooko Wilcox-OHearn wrote:

> I know, I'll just Cc: Brian on this email. :-)

Sorry I missed the original message..

That error is the Foolscap equivalent of dialing a phone number and
asking for a person who doesn't live there. The caller (tahoe client, in
this case) connects to the hostname/ipaddr in the server's FURL and
requests the TubID from that same FURL. The recipient (some other
foolscap server) complains that they aren't hosting the requested TubID.

It looks like your FURL has been corrupted: the error message shows the
TubID:

>>  foolscap.tokens.BananaError: BananaError: ("not right, got 'HTTP/1.1
>>  500 Internal Server Error: unknown TubID
>>  eruo3ibyroMODIFIEDvkheeidhbm63vn', expected 101 Switching
>>  Protocols",)

and you might note the "MODIFIED" in the middle of it. Was this just you
redacting some information when you posted it to the list? The same
funny-looking TubID appears in the logfile from your first email.

If not, I'm thinking that maybe you or somebody else modified the
introducer.furl= in the tahoe.cfg on the one troubled box, inserting the
word MODIFIED into it (perhaps for testing purposes), leaving the
hostname/ipaddr alone. That node would then connect to the right server,
but ask for a bogus TubID, and get rejected. Like dialing the right
phone number but asking for the wrong person.

If that's not the case, let's dig deeper.. maybe the /etc/hosts on that
box is overriding the hostname->ipaddr mapping, causing that one box to
connect to the wrong server, and the wrong server happens to be a
different box running a Foolscap tub (with obviously a different TubID).
This would be like dialing the wrong phone number and asking for the
right person.

hope that helps,