Sybil attack?

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 12:30:35 UTC 2015

Den 16 feb 2015 12:53 skrev "Adonay Sanz" <adonay.sanz at gmail.com>:

> Hi Natanael
> Thanks for answering. Really I'm noob in this area.
>
> I wanted to use I2P version. So, it's no possible way present or future
to block it? It's a really threat?
> Can you explainme better what it means "configured to mimic Freenet"?

Freenet caches files you request, and caches some files other people
request via you. Then it replies to requests from others and forwards
requests as well. Tahoe-LAFS in I2P mode mimics this behaviour.

In I2P it isn't certain you'll be able to find honest nodes which have the
data you are asking for. They can send fake replies, and even though your
software will know the replies are wrong it will have to spend a lot of
effort on searching for the correct data. So a Sybil attack can be used for
censorship.

But if you know of honest nodes, and the honest nodes are well connected in
the network, then the requests will reach those nodes and the correct reply
will come back. But the fake nodes can overload the honest nodes to slow
things down.