GSoC 2015 to overcome NAT limitations?

Chris Kerr chris.kerr at mykolab.ch
Fri Feb 27 15:06:52 UTC 2015

Using Tahoe-LAFS over Tor will drastically reduce data transfer speeds versus a direct
connection, not to mention leeching bandwidth from other Tor users.

For me, usability from behind a NAT is an essential feature. I have had moderate
success using PageKite but things would be much easier if there was only one
package to install and configure. If this is not something that Tahoe-LAFS can do itself
then integrating with external tools would also help. Also, if NAT piercing turns out to be
too difficult, connection forwarding "super-helper-nodes" would also help, albeit with
increased bandwidth costs.