removing IP-address autodetection, Tor integration

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 19:43:42 UTC 2015

Just for the record, it is *very* difficult to get a Tahoe-LAFS client
running on Debian 8 to connect to an onion grid. A Tahoe-LAFS code
contributor recently reports having to modify the source of torsocks
so that it works with Tahoe... !!

I'm going to CCC camp... however it doesn't make much sense to have a
Tahoe-LAFS Onion grid workshop if it's too damn hard for most people
to setup. Even as a Qubes user I feel the pain. I had to create a
Qubes VM using the new Debian 7 AppVM template... and then use apt-get
to install tahoe-lafs and the old torsocks.

>From my perspective a large portion of the motivation to create some
form of native Tor+Tahoe-LAFS integration is to make it very easy for
Tor users to use Tahoe-LAFS. The results of our efforts could aid
journalists, activists, document leaking, data exfiltration across
borders... etc.

I gotta snicker when I think; capability model security nerds are all
anarchists and should therefore make their software more accessible to
other anarchist software developers... in this case the core Tor
developers who won't be trying out Tahoe-LAFS until it has native Tor
integration. ;-p

After that's all working... then it might be interesting to discuss
making Tahoe-LAFS more denial-of-service resistant.