1.10.1b1 is tagged

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Tue Jun 9 09:00:21 UTC 2015

I've just tagged the first (and maybe only) beta for the upcoming 1.10.1
release. The NEWS.rst file now contains an edited summary of all
user-visible changes since the last release.

One outstanding issue before the final release: ticket #2439, "SUMO
tarball doesn't include windows dependencies". I think we concluded that
the (binary) deps are too big to include in the SUMO tarball (it'd
double the size). We have a couple of different options:

1: punt: declare that windows builds require a network connection
2: make three SUMO tarballs: unix, 32-bit windows, 64-bit windows
3: put the windows eggs in the tahoe-deps repo, but not in the tarballs

I'm partial to #1, but if anyone feels strongly about it (or can think
of another answer), I'm all ears. In particular it might make sense to
include nevow-0.10.0, in addition to the current 0.11.1, because some
windows configurations require it. I think the same configuration might
require an older Twisted too. This might not be too big, and would
maintain our claim that "SUMO and a compiler" is enough to work, even on
windows. Option #2 or #3 would enable a stronger claim: "SUMO without a
compiler, on windows", which I'm not sure we need to provide.

Please test and file any bugs with the "1.10.1" milestone so we can
triage. If all goes well, I think we can make the final release in a
week or two.