Fwd: removing IP-address autodetection, Tor integration

meejah meejah at meejah.ca
Sun Jun 21 05:56:55 UTC 2015

David Stainton <dstainton415 at gmail.com> writes:

Cool, tahoe via Tor :)
If txtorcon is missing features needed for this, let me know what you
need.

Also, I just merged David's "tor:" endpoint stuff, which makes txtorcon
depend on txsocksx now...

> Anyway aside from epemeral HS... I was thinking that ideally the
> Tahoe-LAFS user would select whether to launch a new tor process or to
> use an existing tor process. Either the location of tor would be known
> or guessed... or the socks port and control port must be known... and
> we'd also want to provide the location of the tor control port cookie
> auth file.

Strictly speaking, just providing the control-endpoint should be
sufficient; the client is told where the cookie is during
"authentication" and the socks port (ports?) can be queried from
Tor. e.g. I could add factory methods such as
"TorClientEndpoint.from_connection()" to which you'd pass a
control-protocol connection and get back a TorClientEndpoint ready to
use it.

[..]
> using our own plugin system... we can instantiate endpoint objects
> however we want; with or without the help of the endpoint parser
> plugin system.

Perfect, I *believe* the existing hooks (factory methods) for the server
endpoints will let you choose between a system or launched Tor easily
(and change its configuration as necessary).

The client-side of this doesn't exist at all, but I *would* like to add
similar features as the server-side...

--
meejah