Tahoe as git remote

Jean-Rene David tahoe-dev at levelnine.net
Mon Oct 26 10:55:55 UTC 2015

* Greg Troxel [2015.10.23 09:21]:

> Jean-Rene David <tahoe-dev at levelnine.net> writes:
>
> > The problem I would like to solve is how to get
> > git to write its objects to tahoe. Is sshfs my
> > only option? I read that this may not be entirely
> > reliable.
>
> This is my biggest complaint about tahoe; the universal interface to
> filesystems is throught the OS VFS layer, and tahoe has been mostly
> living in a world where people are expected to run special tahoe
> commands.
>
> Part of the reason is that that tahoe has features that don't fit neatly
> in the POSIX filesystem spec.   I see that as an opportunity to grow the
> interface to do things that multiple filesystems need, rather than to
> reject it and expect the world to somehow put tahoe-specific code in
> various places.
>
> > Are there other options? I'm perfectly willing to
> > write some code. But I'm not sure where to start.
>
> I see two reasonable ways forward.  One is to test and/or debug the
> sshfs approach, and perhaps finish how authentication is handled.  It
> would be reasonable to run filesystem tests on it.
>
> The other is to implement a FUSE interface for tahoe.

Actually the reason I wanted to use tahoe as a
remote only was to avoid going the filesystem
route. There is a protocol to talk to remotes and
it's completely different (and hopefully simpler)
than implementing a filesystem layer.

What I didn't know, and found out while
researching for this little project, is that git's
remote protocol is clearly defined in its own man
page and git even supports the addition of
user-defined transports. I stumbled upon the
gitremote-helpers man page and was very pleasantly
surprised.

I didn't look into the details yet, but this just
may have made my problem a whole simpler to solve.

There may be a git-remote-tahoe command on the
way. :-)

--
JR