update on Tahoe/Tor/Foolscap integration

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 04:56:25 UTC 2015

Dear Paul Rabahy,

Thanks for running the public grid so users can test out Tahoe-LAFS...

Btw both you and Zooko misunderstood Brian Warner's e-mail; he doesn't
want to take away the autodetect feature... he just wants it to not be
the default if no listening address is specified... keyword AUTO will
be used to specify autodetect... As Daira pointed out, this makes
"tahoe create-note" slightly more difficult to use.

On the other hand these changes will make Tahoe-LAFS way easier to use
with Tor and other transports (I2p, ipv6 etc) who wish to run storage
nodes at home and need the transport's NAT penetration property.

I think there are political, economic and technical consequences to
the NAT penetration method chosen... so I have this work in progress
document to help explain some of these tradeoffs:

https://github.com/telekommunisten/nat-penetration-tradeoffs

It's far from complete...

Cheers,

David