[Tahoe-LAFS] #1010: anonymous client mode

Zooko Wilcox zookog at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 14:45:34 UTC 2016

Thanks for bringing this up, David! I think that the word "anonymous" is
problematic, both in general and in the case.

One reason it is problematic is, as you say, that it is technically
inaccurate. Preventing your peers, or certain network eavesdroppers, from
linking your network traffic to your IP address is neither necessary nor
sufficient for preventing them from linking your network traffic to your
name.

Also, sometimes you want people to be able to link your name, but not your
IP address! I believe that mode of privacy will turn out to be the most
important one in the future.

For a simple example, imagine that you are a whistleblower or a government
witness in a mafia case, and everyone knows your name, but when you
exchange emails or give video testimony, you need to protect your IP
address. It is confusing and wrong to call this "anonymous".

The other reason it is problematic is that "anonymous" is a jargon word
which means one thing to computer scientists and something related but
different to the other 99.9% of English speakers.

To computer scientists, it means "unlinks two things (one of which is
typically your IP address)" and it is morally neutral. To speakers of
English, it means "without any name attached", and it comes with a strong
connotation of menace, shame, or crime.

It's a terrible, terrible strategy to insist on using this technically
inaccurate jargon word, thereby both confusing *and* frightening away
potential users and supporters.

Just replace "anonymous" with "private" now and get this over with.

Sincerely,

Zooko