[Tahoe-LAFS] #1010: anonymous client mode

Ivan Markin twim at riseup.net
Tue Aug 30 15:59:00 UTC 2016

Hi tahoe-dev@,

Zooko Wilcox:
> It's a terrible, terrible strategy to insist on using this
> technically inaccurate jargon word, thereby both confusing *and*
> frightening away potential users and supporters.
>
> Just replace "anonymous" with "private" now and get this over with.

IMHO 'private' is even more vague than 'anonymous' - everybody has so
different concepts of 'privacy'. I guess a better option here would be
'location anonymity' and 'location-anonymous'. This is what exactly we
mean by saying 'anonymous' and what Tor and friends do provide (plus
stripping off other metadata).

--
Ivan Markin