openbsd vs pyca-cryptography build

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Thu Mar 17 23:26:09 UTC 2016

On 3/16/16 11:40 PM, Kyle Markley wrote:
> On 03/16/16 02:51, Brian Warner wrote:
>> * openbsd: Kyle's buildslave is showing some weird C symbol error with
>>    libssl.so . I'd love it if someone familiar with OpenBSD could take a
>>    look at
>>
>> https://tahoe-lafs.org/buildbot-tahoe-lafs/builders/Kyle%20OpenBSD%20amd64/builds/146/steps/tox/logs/stdio
>>

> Is tahoe supposed to link with the system libssl, or does it bring along
> its own copy of ssl?

I think it should be using the system libssl.so (and more libssl.h, as
far as feature-detection goes). It's actually the "cryptography" package
doing whatever it's doing: "pip wheel cryptography" ought to exercise
the same code (and should download/unpack/build in a tempdir).

I agree it smells like a feature-detection problem. I think this builder
was functioning correctly before we switched to pip, but it might be
that we were previously asking for an older version of pyopenssl which
didn't require a build of "cryptography".

If you run "pip wheel cryptography" directly, does that exhibit the same
error? The next step would be to download the cryptography tarball
(https://pypi.python.org/pypi/cryptography/1.2.3) and run "python
setup.py build". These should all do the same thing, but might show more
log/status messages, which might let us see whatever ./configure -type
step is making the symbol detection mistake.

thanks,