openbsd vs pyca-cryptography build

Kyle Markley kyle at arbyte.us
Sun Mar 20 00:52:29 UTC 2016

My system must be funny - I don't have "pip wheel".  But I was able to
python setup.py build from the tarball without any complaint.  Then,
trying to run the tests gives me undefined symbol errors referencing the
same symbols. The final line of output says:  7 failed, 725 passed, 1
skipped, 131 error in 60.57 seconds

So, this is definitely an issue with the cryptography package. How can I
help, if I don't have much time to do so?

On 03/17/16 16:26, Brian Warner wrote:

> I think it should be using the system libssl.so (and more libssl.h, as
> far as feature-detection goes). It's actually the "cryptography" package
> doing whatever it's doing: "pip wheel cryptography" ought to exercise
> the same code (and should download/unpack/build in a tempdir).
>
> I agree it smells like a feature-detection problem. I think this builder
> was functioning correctly before we switched to pip, but it might be
> that we were previously asking for an older version of pyopenssl which
> didn't require a build of "cryptography".
>
> If you run "pip wheel cryptography" directly, does that exhibit the same
> error? The next step would be to download the cryptography tarball
> (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/cryptography/1.2.3) and run "python
> setup.py build". These should all do the same thing, but might show more
> log/status messages, which might let us see whatever ./configure -type
> step is making the symbol detection mistake.
>
> thanks,
>   -Brian

Kyle Markley