1.11.0b1 tagged

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Mon Mar 28 09:17:02 UTC 2016

I just pushed the tahoe-lafs-1.11.0b1 tag. We're getting close.

Tarballs are at:

 https://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/tarballs/

I think the docs are as good as they're going to get. We've got a clean
buildbot, with most (not all, but enough) of its previous functionality
back in place. Windows and Mac binary wheels are hosted in the place
where the docs say they'll be, and I've tested that you can install
there without compiling. The OS-X ".pkg" installer does what it's
supposed to do (get a "tahoe" CLI command on your PATH). The new pypi
name ("tahoe-lafs") is giving us new tarball names, that all looks good.
I went through the entire "packaging" Trac component and closed
something like 50 tickets.

What's left?

* figure out what to do with the soon-to-be-old PyPI "allmydata-tahoe"
  page. Someone pointed me at "pypi-alias", a helper script that creates
  a new version of the old project, that just depends upon the new
  project. So we could publish an "allmydata-tahoe-1.10.3.1" that's
  mostly empty except for a README that explains the name change, and an
  install_requires= on tahoe-lafs-1.11.0 . Does this seem useful?

* Rearrange the website a bit.

Also, I found a note[1] from 2013 (after the 1.10 release) about changes
I wanted to make for next time. Some of these are still relevant:

* use "1.11" instead of "1.11.0"

Zooko was +1, Daira was +0. I guess I don't care as much any more..
shortness vs consistency. Meh. I'll leave it as 1.11.0.

* rewrite "relnotes.txt"

Zooko was +UNICODE_EPSILON_CHARACTER, Daira was +1. If I get time, I
might rewrite it. I just feel silly about doing a sed replace of version
strings for each release.

* change tarball name

Done!

* download URL is too long

I'll move this to https://tahoe-lafs.org/downloads/ .

* make fewer tarball variations

Meh, gz/bz2/zip doesn't bother me anymore.

So, please test this out: see if the instructions in the README (and the
new INSTALL.rst) are surprising, or wrong. Look for broken links, wiki
pages that don't point to useful things, problems on platforms we aren't
able to test on. I'm especially looking for independent confirmation of
the OS-X and windows install docs.

I'm aiming to make the final release on Thursday, March 31st.

[1]: https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2013-May/008244.html