debian porting, twisted[tls] dependency

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Wed Mar 30 18:10:45 UTC 2016

On 3/30/16 10:50 AM, Brian Warner wrote:
> On 3/30/16 6:45 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:
>
>> Another observation: My Debian machine which runs the 'testing' flavour
>> had the version 15.2.1 of Twisted and with that I get an error:

Incidentally, I just set up a new testing/"stretch" instance, installed
the old tahoe-lafs-1.10.2 package (to get the dependencies), uninstalled
it, installed "python-pip", and did:

 pip install --user .

from a git source tree (no virtualenv), and it worked. "tahoe --version"
emits scary-looking warnings because pkg_resources can't get version
data for cffi, enum34, and pycparser, but it runs. It wound up with
foolscap-0.10.1, twisted-16.0.0, and all the necessary support modules
to let Twisted do its TLS thing. All the dependencies were satisfied by
Debian packages from /usr/lib .

I don't know how to fix that pkg_resources warning. python-enum34 and
python-pycparser were already installed, and installing python-cffi
didn't help. I want us to remove the (overenthusiastic?)
version-checking code in src/allmydata/__init__.py, moving it off to a
subcommand that's only run on-demand. But that's not happening for this
release.

Please double check that "tahoe --version" from your package doesn't
emit those warnings.. I'm crossing my fingers that it's ok.

thanks,