devchat notes 15-Aug-2017

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Tue Aug 15 23:00:14 UTC 2017

Tahoe-LAFS devchat 15-Aug-2017

Attendees: warner, meejah, exarkun

* PR417: changing daemonization
 * trying to decide whether to have 'tahoe start' monitor the process
   for a little while, wait for some startup-is-successful milestone to
   be logged
 * deprecate 'tahoe start', recommend twistd or other daemonization
   tool?
 * current branch follows logs until it sees a special message
  * and parent process exits with error if it doesn't see that message
    within 5 seconds
 * could add an API to the child process, which the parent can poll
 * adding post-daemonization fatal errors, like leasedb unavailable, or
   storage backend unreachable
 * add option to exit-on-error vs report-to-WUI-on-error?
 * "normal" daemonization tools (systemd/etc) want to see errors to logs
   and then process exits
  * rich variety of tooling to handle this: different exit statuses for
    temporary-vs-fatal errors, etc
 * "tahoe start" is our cheap custom version of the "real" tools like
   systemd
* PR438 (remove unused parts of dictutil.py): looks good, merge it
* PR437 (add tub.port=listen:i2p): good direction, make fixes
* PR424 (tox3)
 * warner learned about setup(python_requires=) at PyBay over the
   weekend, will see if that's a better approach
* PR60: is this covered by the servers-of-happiness changes we landed
  the other month?