zfec-1.5.2 vs slackware packaging

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Sun Feb 18 02:25:33 UTC 2018

On 2/17/18 8:49 AM, jg71 wrote:

> python setup.py install --root=$PATH
> https://pastebin.com/4m8sV8Qa
>
> needless to say, this borks tahoe-lafs, complaining about no zfec
>> =1.10 is present.
>
> any ideas?

Oh, bummer. FWIW, "pip install" is the way to go these days: we don't
test plain "python setup.py install" anymore. But I agree that packaging
has gotta work.

What if you try "python setup.py install
--single-version-externally-managed --root=$PATH" ? I think that's what
packaging tools are supposed to do, and it disables all the
install-the-dependencies-too stuff.

If I do that locally, it seems to write the correct version number into
$PATH/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zfec/_version.py . On the
other hand, I get the correct version number if I omit
--single-version-externally-managed too.