Tahoe LAFS browser client

Jean-Paul Calderone jean-paul+tahoe-dev at leastauthority.com
Tue Apr 2 16:03:22 UTC 2019

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 2:41 PM Mirko Lindner <mirko.lindner at deviz.io> wrote:

> Hi Tahoe LAFS dev community,
>
> I found Tahoe LAFS and would love to use it as the basis for my company's
> projects.
>
> In order to do so, I need a browser-based javascript client that can
> create, encrypt and erasure-encode text/json files, upload them to storage
> nodes and create the capabilities locally.
>
> I was wondering if this or a similar feature is already on the roadmap or
> if it had been discarded before.
>
> I do have some budget available and if this is of interest to others as
> well, I would love for this work to be done in the right way and ensure it
> will be open sourced once completed.

Hi Mirko,

Here are a couple thoughts off the top of my head - no conclusions here by
any means.

The browser is a dangerous environment.  JavaScript itself is fraught but
it seems like a lot of danger comes not from what *your* code does but from
all of the other unsavory activity that may be going on in the same
environment.

I have recently been trying to push forward something called "Great Black
Swamp
<https://tahoe-lafs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/proposed/http-storage-node-protocol.html>"
which is an HTTP-based API for interacting with storage servers.  Half of
the idea here is that it is a lot easier to implement an HTTP-based API
(particularly in other languages) than it is to implement the current
Foolscap-based API.  This isn't specifically about supporting browsers but
I would imagine a JavaScript client should be able to deal with an
HTTP-based storage server API fairly easily.

Jean-Paul