Having trouble installing Tahoe-LAFS on Open-Wrt

brucet brucet.cisco at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 19:35:38 UTC 2019

Hello,

My name is Bruce Thompson. I am new to this list / community so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been answered elsewhere.

I am trying to install Tahoe-LAFS on an X86 virtual machine running Open-Wrt. I have seen old emails from other people trying to do the same thing but have not seen any resolution to the issues they have raised.

I tried to install Tahoe-LAFS from source using the instructions on this web page:

https://github.com/tahoe-lafs/tahoe-lafs

I got to the pip install of the Tahoe-LAFS package itself:
venv/bin/pip install --editable .
I am getting the following error from pip install when I execute the command above:

Command “python setup.py egg_info” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-install/XXXX/Twisted/

>From looking at other posts, it looks like the Twisted package is platform specific and has to be built for the target platform. I assume I am getting this error because the Tahoe-LAFS install package does not include a version of Twisted for Open-Wrt. There actually is a twisted package available for Open-Wrt and I have installed it. However, I still get the same error from pip install even when the twisted package is installed on my OpenWrt virtual machine.

I am thinking that if I can remove the dependency for Twisted in the Tahoe-LAFS pip install package, then I can get around this issue.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions for what I should do to get around this issue?

Thanks greatly,

                Bruce T