Uploading files with http put

brucet brucet.cisco at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 23:52:16 UTC 2019

Jean-Paul et al,

I went through the Tahoe client code today to determine exactly what Tahoe does when you do an upload of a single file to a Tahoe directory (tahoe cp localfile alias:path)”.

I do not understand how the Tahoe client creates the URL that it does the HTTP Put to. I tried a test with the following command:

“tahoe cp /tmp/bar node76:foo”

In this command, the target of the cp is a Tahoe directory named “foo” which is contained in alias “node76:”. I was expecting that the Tahoe cp command would end up creating a URL for the http put by combining the writecap URI of the “foo” directory with the filename “bar”. However, this does not seem to be the case.

Here is the call path from phyCharm where the HTTP put is actually sent:

Here are the parameters to do_http from pycharm:

There is no Tahoe write-cap URI of the “foo” directory in the path of this call.

How does this work????

                Bruce T