tahoe 1.16.0

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Oct 20 16:35:03 UTC 2021

I have updated pkgsrc-wip to 1.16.0 and will likely push that update to
pkgsrc proper soon.

Two brief comments:

1) "tahoe status" gives a stack trace when one hasn't set up tahoe at
  all, ending in

  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python3.8/site-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 85, in callWithContext
    return func(*args,**kw)
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python3.8/site-packages/allmydata/scripts/cli.py", line 595, in status
    return tahoe_status.do_status(options)
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python3.8/site-packages/allmydata/scripts/tahoe_status.py", line 256, in do_status
    with open(os.path.join(nodedir, u'private', u'api_auth_token'), 'r') as f:
  builtins.FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '@HOME@/.tahoe/private/api_auth_token'

easy for a nerd to figure out, but in general I see it as a bug to
expose stack traces to users.

2) I am updating pkgsrc from 1.12.1 to 1.16.0.  I skipped earlier
versions because they added dependencies that were difficult for me, I
think almost entirely because the dependencies had main versions that
were python3 only, and pkgsrc hadn't added old py2-compatible versions.
Since it was obvious thath te only reasoanble path was tahoe being py3
compatible, I put off dealing with it.

From that long gap, I have a few things in the Makefile that I think
used to be dependencies, and which don't seem to be now -- but I'm
really unsure.  Advice very welcome on if they need to be added back or
if they can be dropped.  I am pretty sure they are not declared in
setup.py, because I tried to do a rationalization pass of what's in
setup and what I declare.

# \todo Decide why these are here and prune.
# Not in setup.py, but seems to exist elsewhere.
#DEPENDS+=      ${PYPKGPREFIX}-asn1>=0.1.8:../../security/py-asn1
#DEPENDS+=      ${PYPKGPREFIX}-asn1-modules>=0.0.5:../../security/py-asn1-modules
#DEPENDS+=      ${PYPKGPREFIX}-OpenSSL>=0.14:../../security/py-OpenSSL
#DEPENDS+=      ${PYPKGPREFIX}-service_identity-[0-9]*:../../security/py-service_identity

3)  txi2p

https://pypi.org/project/txi2p/#history

This was last released on April 3, 2017.  I have a note that there isn't
a release, but maybe there isn't a release that works with python3.  In
any case, pkgsrc, probably like most packaging systems, only wants to
package releases, and having a release that's 4.5 years old is generally
a clue of an unhealthy maintenance situation.

So I wonder if I am confused, if that version really works with python3
and is recommended, or if leaving it out is still the best approach.

Thanks,
Greg